Wednesday, June 13, 2018

expectations

Today I had a wonderful talk with a good friend of mine about the woes of expectations.
Sometimes, when people offer to do things for you, they aren't always doing it to be nice. Often they want something in return, regardless of what they say otherwise. It may take weeks, months, or even a year. But suddenly, the person will bring it up and you don't know how to react.

And then, when they offer to "help" or dangle something wonderful in front of you, you might want to take it. You definitely need the help, or want the wonderful item. But at what will the price be when it comes back to bite you in the ass?

So you become heavy with resentment.

What should you do?

Let go of the expectations. The person offering you something is more than likely not sincere. Not everyone is a compassionate human being. Say "no thanks, I got this," even if you don't. Then the expectations vanish and you are in control once again.

It's a strange conundrum, but makes so much sense.

I often find my feelings being hurt when I trust someone who then figuratively stabs me in the back. And I forgive too easily.
I guess I need a stronger back bone.
And more independence. It's okay to say "no," when someone offers to "help" because regardless of how helpful this help may be, it can come with a price that hurts more than it's worth.
And with that tidbit of information, I will say adieu and enjoy a mango smoothie.

No comments:

International Nights

It's been nine weeks in lockdown and we were getting tired of the same food...the kids wanted something different. So thanks to Google E...