Tuesday, July 17, 2018

changing colors (i.e. Memoir of Removing the Blue from my Hair)


This weekend we are driving up north to Canada. I can't wait. I haven't been back there in the past seven years, can you believe it? I'm really looking forward to it.

One thing I really want to do before arriving in Quebec is to re-color my hair. The color I want? Platinum Blonde. Also known as "ice blonde." But I did the research...blue is a bitch a remove from your hair. Who knew? I certainly didn't.

I spoke to three different stylists and they all told me that the process would take between 4-6 hours, that I might need to have two sessions, and that it would be at least $300.

Given that I am not a Kardashian, Jenner, or Paris Hilton, I sat there defeated.

I decided I would go back to my red-purple combo. That would be okay, right? SIGH :(

When I told a co-worker my new plan, she gave me the pep talk I needed to just try taking the blue out myself. And really, why not? I have enough coconut oil to heal my hair if the color removal starts any damage...

Part 1: Color Oops.

As you can see, this product is meant to remove hair dye. Now I was specifically looking for "Splat Color Hair Remover" because I have been using Color Splat to color my hair. But guess what? All the places in my area that sell Color Splat, do NOT sell the Splat Color Hair Remover product. Go figure.

So I tried Color Oops. FYI, it smells like Nair. If you like that stuff, you'll love this. If you gag over the smell of Nair, well, heads up. Another FYI: the bottle squirts insanely easy once you cut it. OMG, the liquid shot out like a bullet train once the scissors finished cutting the tip of the applicator. It hit my bathroom wall and ricocheted straight to me! Luckily, I have pretty quick blinking skills and saved my eye from pain and potential blindness. Go me! So, yeah, heed the warning.


After keeping it in my hair for the designated time, and then rinsing it for 20 minutes and repeating the steps again and again, I finally added some conditioner, washed and dried my hair and...:


Definite progress.

I'm going to let my hair rest for a bit, and then tomorrow morning I am going to try the "Dawn Dish Soap + Baking Soda" mix. Wish me luck!

No comments:

International Nights

It's been nine weeks in lockdown and we were getting tired of the same food...the kids wanted something different. So thanks to Google E...