Tuesday, April 27, 2010

what came first...

I wish I had one of those long, Victorian-type sofas... I can just imagine myself lying across one right now. One arm draped over my eyes, the other grazing lazily near the floor... if I smoked, my fingers would be curled around a cigarette. But I don't smoke, so maybe my hand is empty, but my fingers are still slightly curled inward against my palm.

Why? You ask.

Because I'm being pensive: pondering passing thoughts....

I'm getting a bit tired answering the same question hour upon hour by meaningful loved ones, including, "How are you feeling?"

It's a bit of a pain in the ass.

And I don't want to sound ungrateful, because really I'm not... but it gets old pretty fast. LOL Perhaps I should just wear a T-shirt that states "Please refer all questions to my blog."

After the angiogram, my cardiologist stated that maybe the cardiomyopathy was a condition from my hypothyroidism. Originally he had thought that perhaps it was postpartum, but maybe it was related to my thyroid. But who knew what came first, and what started what... it was all a mystery.

So today I called my cardiologist and posed a question to him.

I asked him, "What if I never had hypothyroidism? What if I really had cardiomyopathy and was misdiagnosed with a thyroid problem? Then what?"

Well.

Taking a thyroid medication when it is not needed can cause cardiac arrhythmia.

Really..? Well, I have cardiac arrythmia.


And taking too much thyroid medication, when you only need a smaller dosage can also cause cardiac arrythmia.

Curiouser and curiouser

So I inform him that, three years ago, when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, the thyroid level was actually right on the border. But the doctor felt that some people were more sensitive than others, and therefore, since I showed all the symptoms (extreme fatigue, always cold, etc.) that I was one of those sensitive people.

So I was put on Synthroid.

Three years later, I have cardiac arrythmia. Two weeks after that diagnosis, I'm told I have cardiomyopathy. What came first?

Now do you see my visual of the Victorian-style sofa?

So what was it? What happened?

Was it thyroid? Or did I have postpartum cardiomyopathy those 3 years ago and instead of treating it, was given Synthroid which masked my symptoms, but then made them worse.

Or did I have hypothyroidism, but was given a too high dose?

Or did I have hypothyroidism, and the thyroid medication (Synthroid) is at a perfect dose and this cardiomyopathy occurred from something else. Perhaps postpartum from my last pregnancy?

What came first? Thyroid? Arrhythmia? Cardiomyopathy?

It's all a mystery (cue 'music' now) *smirk*

1 comment:

Roco said...

Wow well I can see the sofa as well but not at all in the same context hehehe

International Nights

It's been nine weeks in lockdown and we were getting tired of the same food...the kids wanted something different. So thanks to Google E...