Saturday, November 04, 2006

Hirshhorn Museum


Today we spent most of the day in D.C. It was so much fun! First we went to the American History Museum to see their car and train exhibit...Julius LOVED that. He loves cars, he loves trains, so obviously he LOVED the museum. We were there for quite some time.
Then we went to the Hirshhorn Museum. They were showing Anselm Kiefer: Heaven and Earth which was just awesome. http://www.hirshhorn.si.edu/Kiefer/ Every piece was amazing. Julius, unfortunately, was sleeping through it....which I think was fine because they were rather morbid for a toddler. (Awesome for grown-ups though!! Very thought-provoking). But then we went to the next floor and they had such incredible pieces of art. Julius woke up for that, which was great, because unlike Kiefer, these pieces were bright, bold and colorful. Julius and I talked about the colors, and I would ask Julius what he thought the paintings were of, and he'd tell me such incredible things, like one was a zebra, another was of Daddy, and another was water. This is why I love modern art. You look at it and see one thing, and someone else looks at the exact same thing and sees something else. Art is based on feelings, and when you feel something when you look at an art piece....it's just so amazing. It's amazing that a piece of art can evoke feelings from someone. I love it. I love art. I mean, someone had these feelings and these thoughts and needed to share it with the world...he/she needed this outlet and here we are, watching his/her feelings, studying, analyzing and accepting him/her. It's just beautiful.
Now I love all art, even more traditional art. One of my favorite pieces is "The Virgin," ( http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/pd--10291658/sp--A/Virgin.html ) by Abbott Handerson Thayer. You can see it at the Freer Gallery...which is one of my favorite art galleries I have ever had the pleasure to enter. (Hirshhorn is my other favorite). Thayer is one of my favorite artists: http://americanart.si.edu/collections/exhibits/thayer/index.html I just love how peaceful and beautiful the paintings are. Just looking at them makes me what to let out a sigh.
Anywho, back to today. After Hirshhorn, we went to the scultpure garden. I love that garden. The Riply garden was also gorgeous. Okay, really, I just love going to the Smithsonian. Next time we're going to visit the Air & Space museum and Freer Gallery. Hopefully we'll go again soon. Tomorrow we're off to Sugarloaf mountain for some hiking!!!
Saturday August 19, 2006 - 09:04pm (EDT)

No comments:

International Nights

It's been nine weeks in lockdown and we were getting tired of the same food...the kids wanted something different. So thanks to Google E...