Saturday, November 04, 2006

scream


sometimes I just want to scream
Okay, I love my job. I really do. I love the kids...I love seeing the progress they make, being part of that, and just making a difference. I love it, really I do.
But then I get these families that are in such denial that they are doing more harm than good to their children, and then they direct their anger towards me...it just makes me want to scream. One family in particular is making me see red. I am trying so hard to help this child, and I see the potential. I KNOW how to help this child. I know it, my co-workers know it...we all know it. Except the parents. And the more I try to talk to them...about anything really, the mom becomes angry at me. And I accept the fact that she's starting to realize that her child is not typical, and she's still grasping at the denial and needs to be angry at something...I understand, and I accept the fact that she's deciding to be angry at me...I get it, I'm fine with it (kind of). But it's hurting the child! And now she's threatening to pull her child out of the program. Part of me wants to say, "Fine! Do it!" But I know what will happen. I've seen it too many times, and I can't stand thinking that this little child is going to disappear from the system and will suddenly resurface when it's too late. Early intervention is the best treatment option..and I know it works.
I'm just so frustrated. And this child is going to transition soon and the program I am recommending is NOT what the parents want to hear or accept. I'm not going to change my recommendation, it's an appropriate recommendation. But I know this family is going to contact their lawyers and all hell is going to break loose. And all I can think about is what will happen to this child (if the parents pull her out of the program) when she turns five? or seven? or my God, 10? It's too painful to imagine.

No comments:

International Nights

It's been nine weeks in lockdown and we were getting tired of the same food...the kids wanted something different. So thanks to Google E...